Milk thistle has been used for a number of purposes including treatment of liver disease, prevention and treatment of cancer, and supportive treatment of poisoning from death cap mushrooms. Milk thistle is also known as cardus marianus. It is one of the important liver remedies in the homeopathic pharmacopeia.
Uses of Milk thistle.
Liver Disease: The key target of milk thistle supplementation has been the reduction of liver disease. Silymarin is effective in managing the impact of various toxins which cause liver damage. These would include alcohol, chemotherapy agents, and paracetamol.
- Directly scavenging free radicals ( and in essence removing free radicals from the cellular environment)
- By inhibiting enzymes which allow free radical formation
- By maintaining the electron transport chain during stress conditions
- By activating antioxidant enzymes and transcription factors which are responsible for the synthesis of protective molecules (such as thitedoxin and HSP)
- By reducing the inflammatory response through inhibition of NF-KB pathways (Which is a protein complex which regulates the immune response).
|Milk Thistle Extract(Fruit)
(Standardized for 80% Silymarin)
|Serving Size||1 Capsule|
|Servings Per Container||50 Capsules|